Friday, May 25, 2012

Inspiration - or lack thereof

So right now I'm trying to finish a novel which I started ages and ages ago - this was actually my Camp NaNoWriMo novel from August of 2011.  While I made it over the 50k line there, I never actually managed to finish it.  Not because it wasn't any good, or I didn't want to, but because I have no idea how to bring it to a head.

Currently, I need to throw everybody together, but I can't figure out a logical way for that to happen.  I think it would help a lot if I knew how my "villain" was trying to destroy nearly the entire human population, but unfortunately, I'm missing a little in the master plan department.

I actually went back and read through the entire thing so far, and it's not nearly as bad as I expected.  I figured it would be a good idea, since it's been so long since I worked on this novel that I'd pretty much forgotten what was happening.  I know for sure that if I'd just tried to start writing without reading it again, I would have forgotten to bring back in two characters that I set up earlier.  But I'm still stuck on what actually happens next...

Not only that, but the furthest I've gotten on the ending is that good guys triumph over bad guys.  Inspiration is extremely lacking in this girl's brain.

Normally I come up with ideas while taking a very long, hot shower.  But I still haven't come up with anything that seems suitable.  So I have a very important and necessary question to ask - how do you find inspiration, and what do you do when you're stuck?

1 comment:

  1. I usually talk it out. Usually to myself or some other person who is unfortunate enough to be around for my ramblings. Lol. I'd say what might go good, and then they might say what they think about it, then somewhere along the way I get the 'perfect' idea from the conversation and run with it.

    I'm trying to finish my NaNo novel from last year. Wanted to be done with it before Camp but it looks like I'll be using some of the month with it.

    ReplyDelete