Saturday, June 9, 2012

A novel? Finished? I must be dreaming.

Yes, you read that right.  And since it's been almost twenty four hours now, I'm fairly sure that I'm not dreaming.  Or at least, if I am, I'm perfectly happy to stay dreaming.  Allow me this fantasy!  Stop the voices!  They're following me!

Ok, perhaps I haven't had quite enough sleep.

But maybe I should back up now.  Yesterday I finished my novel - yeah, the one I've been doing for Camp.  I can't remember if I already posted this part or not, but I'm, or I was, rebelling for Camp and finishing a novel I'd already started.  30k added, and I'm done.  Which is great!


Except that now I have to edit.  If you did NaNoWriMo last November and won, you also got a CreateSpace code - it's for 5 free copies of your book.  That code expires at the end of June (that's this month, for people like me who lose track of entire months and maybe even years at a time).  I would really like to have this novel that I just finished, A) get a title, B) get edited, and C) become physical.  A whole five copies!  So awesome.

I still am planning on doing a short story to get me over 50k for the month, but I'm going to be editing and rewriting and revising and everything to frantically get this novel ready for my public humiliation.  I.e. showing the novel to my family and/maybe friends.  Scary.

Oh yeah, and I still need a cover...hmm.  Maybe I should look around and see if I can figure out how to use GIMP - or maybe I can edit a picture I have because it might be kind of perfect...we'll see.

Where do you get covers?  And how do you go about editing?  I'm pretty new to the whole "actually have something to edit" thing.  Tips for me?  As I go along I'll post what works for me to edit as well under the label Writing Tips.

Hoping I don't go mad from hard core writing...oh wait, I already am.

2 comments: