Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Writer Fuel

Free food. That's the best part about the writing center on campus. Ok, so I can't actually say that for sure, since the free food is the only reason I've ever gone in there. For instance, last semester, they were having an open house with lemonade and cookies. I had no plans to actually make an appointment or anything, but I wanted lemonade and cookies - so I went in.

Today, and actually, all of this week, it's International Writing Centers Week or something like that, so they have free food just about every day this week. So Wednesday (today) was Waffles for Writers Wednesday.

In other words, I went in there and hung out, eating waffles with butter and blueberries and whipped cream (yes, there was syrup, but I didn't use it) and sort of writing on my laptop. Waffles were delicious. And I was quite excited to hear that they'd like to make it a monthly thing. xD Writing...well, I didn't get past a page of new stuff I don't think...and the quality of my writing degenerated the further I went. Oh well - that's what editing is for.

I plan to visit the writing center on Friday too - there's going to be chocolate fondue. In the morning there'll be donut holes, and in the afternoon, bananas and strawberries. Yum. (I'm a great fan of chocolate.) Perhaps I'll ask if they'll help me with editing my novel. Since I'm fairly sure anybody who's seen even a corner of it knows it's...well, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Although waffles and chocolate fondue is all well and good - not to mention delicious - it doesn't really make for the best writing food, since both require at least one hand. This alone is not a big deal. It's the fact that both have the potential to be rather messy. I prefer to avoid splattering chocolate, butter, and syrup on my laptop as I'm writing, and I can not stand typing with messy fingers. So for me, food that I have when I'm writing is usually finger-food that isn't messy. So dry food...say, granola. Trail mix. Not chips though, much as I like them, because they're greasy.

I know some people have food and/or drink that they habitually have whenever they sit down to write. I don't have that, although I enjoy food and drink - even though it slows me down. Are you like me, and generally don't have to have food/drink when you write, or do you need something (a cup of coffee, a piece of fruit, anything) when you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment