Saturday, March 17, 2012

*gasp* The horror!

How many people like to be dramatic? Yes, raise your hands high and don't be ashamed of it. I, and pretty much everybody I know, likes to be dramatic at some point. Well that's brilliant (brilliant. Thanks Aussie friends for making me talk like you.) because I may have a job for you. This April, I'll be writing a movie. Yes, I know, I'm crazy. But, if said movie turns out to be animated or have significant CGI in it, I may need voices. Not for sure, but if it happens to turn out that way, then I'll put another post on here for anybody who reads this and might want to join.

Now, on to the actual Script Frenzy. Also put on by the Office of Letters and Light, like NaNoWriMo, this is a challenge to write 100 pages of script during April. (For those of you, like me, who have to do the little ditty every single time to figure out how many days there are in a month, that's 30 days.) These 100 pages can be anything, including but not limited to movies, shorts, comic books, graphic novels, web comics, tv scripts, radio scripts, etc. You can also do multiple scripts to reach 100 pages. Last year I wrote 6 comic book scripts.

But, and there is a but, last year, I thought this was great fun and relatively easy. I spent the first few days learning how to format (which was really important, because there's a lot of white space in scripts that makes it easier to reach 100 than if you just crammed everything onto one page like a novel). After formatting, it was fun and way easy to visualize how I wanted each succeeding panel to go. This was partly because I knew my main character like the back of my hand.

Blaze, a pyrokinetic, had already been created for a RP, so I knew her relatively well already. I pulled her out from my files (yes, I keep a basic log of all the characters I've RPed as), reworked her to make her a bit more optimistic (she was quite depressing before), and redid her past entirely (since we'd made that up on the fly in the RP, and I didn't want to copy the RP). In the spirit of not simply writing down in comic format the RP, I also entirely changed all the other characters - this was also because I didn't own the other characters from the RP.

In the end, I thought my comics were brilliant, and I'm afraid to go read them again to disillusion myself.

Well, this was a rather rambling post. I'm not sure I actually made any sort of point. Eh, hopefully it was semi-interesting anyway. Oh, and the title has pretty much nothing to do with the post; it was just the first thing I thought of when I thought of drama. :)

Do you ever ramble? And are you ever afraid to read your own work, for fear of spoiling its perfection? And most importantly, would you be interested in voicing a potential character?

No comments:

Post a Comment