Monday, March 26, 2012

How do you write?

I'm technically supposed to be writing a couple essays right now. One of them is a particularly important history paper. However, that's not the interesting part. (Despite the effect it may have on my grade.)

The interesting part is how I'm writing this paper. Normally, I'll have a general idea of where I want the essay to go, with my three main ideas/body paragraphs and the supporting points. Nothing is very fleshed out, but I sit down, and I begin from the beginning and go to the end. Then I fix things (or not, as the case may be). But this time, I created my thesis first, as usual, then found all my examples (stupid history) and extras besides. Examples and me do not mix well. Anyway, said examples have been organized into paragraphs, each with a unifying topic sentence, to form the extreme skeleton of the essay.

Now I'm going through, painstakingly, reorganizing as I go to figure out how to segue into each paragraph and which order my paragraphs should go in. (I'm not exactly sure how I know how to say "segue" but had no idea how to spell it...normally it's the other way around.) As I reorganize and shift things around, selecting my examples from the plethora that I have at my disposal, I'm also writing sections about each example, which I plan to stick directly into the essay. This piecewise writing is totally new to me, in both essay and novel writing.

So I'm curious - do you jump around when you write? Either in essays or between scenes in fiction? Or do you write straight through, from beginning to end? And why?

2 comments:

  1. I try to go straight through. I just feel like I'd want to change it anyways if the part in between doesn't go the way I thought it would so it just seems easier to do it in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - for me I've usually gone in order because I don't know what's happening. xD

      Delete