Friday, January 20, 2012

Contest News

Well, I know I already did a post today, but I just got home, and had mail! I'd entered a poetry contest over at Creative Communication (www.poeticpower.com) which someone (can't remember who, if you know who you are, tell me and thank you!) told me about. And what d'ya know, they want to publish my poem in their collection of the top poems! I'm still in the running for the prizes, but I'm gonna be published! :D Here's the poem that I entered.

Oh yeah, and it's slightly shorter than what it originally was (I wrote it a couple years ago and just pulled it out for this), since it had to be under 21 lines...I looked through my considerable collection of poetry and could not find a single good one under 21. So this one was shortened a few lines. I kind of doubt I'll get a prize, since I don't actually think this is a very good poem, but it's cool that they picked it to be published!


Voices
The voices tell me,
To try and fail,
To try and succeed,
They talk to me,
They whisper to me,
They force me,
To do things,
So I suppose I am grateful to the voices,
For making me do anything,
But I wish they would go away,
Let me live my own life,
Without the voices in my head,
I could be just me,
Not me and the voices,
With the voices in my head,
Talking,
Babbling,
I'm not crazy,
I'm not hearing things,
My mind is sane,
But for the voices in my head.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome!!!!! =D I'm so happy for you, Helen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, about longer stuff - don't forget ABNA! I made it to the second round last year (with a middle grade novel) and am hoping to make it further this year with a young adult novel. If you have a manuscript you'd like to throw in the ring, I'd definitely recommend it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, yes, almost forgot! I never think my stuff is good enough though...maybe I should just try. :)

      Delete